Thursday 19 January 2012

seattle weather

  • Question:-Seattle Weather?
    Hey guys, this is for those of you who know Seattle/Washington really well. I'm moving there next summer, and I was curious about the weather habits. I know it rains a lot, blah blah, but I mean bad weather. Here in Texas we have tornadoes and really bad thunderstorms, etc. and I'm kind of going to miss that. What does Seattle have?

    Answer:-I guess if you're from a very dry area, the weather can seem very rainy here, but in actuality, it's no rainier than New York.
    Our winters have, until last winter, have been mild, with rain and morning frosts. Sometimes we'd get an inch or two of snow that would stay a day or two at most. We were unprepared last winter with a wild wind storm that killed the power in most of the pacific northwest and then some nasty freezing weather. Later we got several inches of snow. We are supposed to expect more winters like that in the next several years.
    Springtime, the clouds are confused. Quite often the weather changes its mind several times in a day. An average spring day could go something like; Sun, rain, sun, hail, wind and rain, sun, a boom or two or thunder, sun and wind.
    Don't plant your gardens too early. Often, we are fooled by what looks like an early spring and the flowers open up, and then we get some frosty mornings that kill the young blooms.
    Summertime usually greets us with some thunderstorms and wild rainstorms. Then comes the hot and dry season. We're on fire-watch right now with upper eighties to nineties weather.
    Fall is my favorite. After a few rainfalls to cool us off from the summer, the trees explode with color. Things usually dry back off for a while so people can go outside and enjoy the fall colors.
    Suddenly, one morning, there will be fall on the ground and things are never quite warm again for that year as we slip once more into winter.
  • Question:-What is your view of our (Seattle) weather?
    I don't know if youve seen the news but Seattle's rainy image is FALSE. Yeah our heat wave right now is rare (it got to 103 F wednesday!) but really, our weather is very nice. But i want to hear what everyone else has to say about it!

    Answer:-Yeah, you stole New England's summer, we want it back, and you can take our rainy crap
  • Question:-What is the weather in Seattle and what should i pack?
    I'll be going to Seattle, WA this Sunday. I am from Denmark. I'll be living with a host family in Kent, WA, and then go to school there. I wanna know what the weather is going to be like (Im used to a little winter with snow and average temperatures of around 20-40 degrees F). What should I pack? Other important things to know? Entertainment? Transportation?

    Answer:-lots of rain clothes... I mean a lot!!! I hope you love the rain as much as I do!
    Its usually warmer here about 40-60 degrees... but wet :-)
    Entertainment? ummm that's a good question it depends what you like to do.... and where in Kent your at... downtown Kent has really grown and there are shops and a movie theater and restaurants down there...there is a ice skating rink close by... If your on the east hill of Kent and you like to swim there is a pool behind KM high school...
    Oh if you like Thai food - Grandma Thai is really good :-) it doesn't look like much on the outside but its great!
    There is a lot to do in and around Kent it just depends on what you like to do!
    Transportation.... also depends on where your at... the bus system pretty much goes every where in kent... and walking is always great... lol just don't forget water proof clothes and an umbrella!
  • Question:-How is the weather in Seattle like in March?
    Hello, I have a plan to visit Seattle in late March for a week, alone. I wonder how is the weather like during that time. Would it still be OK to walk around and have a good time there? Never been there before. Please give some advices. Thank you very much.

    Answer:-Ordinarily the weather in March is pretty crappy (lots of clouds and rain), but this year we've been having a very warm winter, and I think March will be a very pleasant month. Already, we're getting temperatures in the mid-to-upper 50s, which for the middle of January is pretty nice.

    Expect a lot of cloudy days, but you'll get used to them very quickly. The rain in Seattle is very overrated; we get much less than cities on the east coast. It's just really cloudy all the time.

    As for things to do outdoors, I'd recommend checking out Pike Place Market downtown (touristy, but a nice area), the waterfront, Gasworks Park on Lake Union (which has fantastic views), and Green Lake/Woodland Park. There are also many beaches along Puget Sound and Lake Washington that are very pleasant on sunny days (if there are any).

    If you're willing to travel a ways, Whidbey Island, particularly Deception Pass State Park, is beautiful in any weather. If you're interested in winter sports, I'd go to Crystal Mountain or Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascades, they usually still have snow throughout March.
  • Question:-What kind of weather this Winter is going to be expected for Seattle?
    What is the weather going to be like this Winter? Since Seattle's weather is unpredictable, and we usually get very mild Winters but sometimes we get a lot of snow. A lot of Meteorologists and Climatologists have said that the coming winter is going to be bad but it never happens. What does a large high pressure system in early December usually predict? A huge high happened 2 years ago around the same time but in January after that, it was around 50F! What do you think this winter would be like? Is it La Nina or El Nino?

    Answer:-Despite what they say, nobody can predict the next season with any accuracy whatsoever! I have a been a meteorologist for 16 years. They try to link atmospheric patterns to la nina and el nino, but it's such a loose correlation, you can almost make the data fit whatever you wish it to.

    Look, if we can't predict next week, how would you expect anyone to predict months from now? Case closed. Holler if you hear me!

    If I were you, I would just expect "normal" weather, which is rainy followed by cool followed by brief warm ups followed by rainy followed by cool.
  • Question:-Can someone tell me how weather in Seattle, Washington has been this month?
    I'm going to Seattle, Washington tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone could let me in on how the weather is so I know what type of clothing is appropriate. Yes, I could always watch the news, but yet again they don't always get the weather right. So from someone who is in Washington currently, how has it been?

    Answer:-It's been rainy with a chance of drizzle, showers overnight and through the weekend.
  • Question:-What is the weather like in Seattle during summer?
    My family and i are planning on taking a trip to Washington and the Seattle area. What is the weather like during July and August?

    Answer:-I lived there 10 years and summers are GREAT. Don't worry about the rain because it's kinda dry those months. It will never get hot, and the nights are cool. It is perfect. Don't forget to eat the blackberries that are all over the sides of the roads. They are so tasty and ripe in late july and august.

    You gotta take a ferry boat trip into the San Juan Islands when you are up there. You will never forget that the rest of your life.
  • Question:-what is seattle weather really like all year long, especially winter?
    i am born and raised in New england, I currently live in philly which was a temporary stop along the way. My ultimate goal is to be in a climate that is warm all year long. I don't like winter. I really don't want lower than 50's. I have looked at "weather averages" for a lot of places. Seattle is one place that always interested me, but i am not sure the weather interests me. I would want to know from people who live there or have lived there previously.

    Answer:-I live in the Seattle area now, and have lived here for 12 years.

    Summer weather (July-September) is warm during the day and dry, and usually cooling off at night. Most of us do not have air conditioners in our homes because it just doesn't get that hot that much here.

    From the end of September to the end of June the weather is cooler, grey and damp. Average rainfall is only about 37 inches per year, but it comes down in long drizzly days. Even on the days it doesn't rain, there is more grey clouds than sunny days through fall, winter and spring.

    It does snow here, but not too often. Last year was heavier than usual, and we had maybe 6 snowfalls in my area just north of Seattle. Usually it snows enough to stick and affect everything once or twice a year.

    If you really don't want temps lower than the 50's, then Seattle isn't right for you. We had a low temperature last week (in June) of 48 degrees. Granted, that was at night, and during the day we were in the 60's, but still, that's what it is like in June here. In winter, average temps are lows in the 30's and highs in the 40's. And we will get one or two "Arctic Express" fronts from Alaska that will drop temperatures into the teens each year.

    I think you need to be looking at locations further south if you really don't want the cold.
  • Question:-What is the weather in Seattle like in mid-Sept?
    I am leaving for Seattle on the 19th of Sept, I need to know what kind of clothes to pack. I looked up the weather on the internet but all it says is "Sunny in the 70's". Is the 70's hot? Could someone who lives there tell me the kind of clothes I should pack. Jacket, sweaters, t-shirts.
    Thanks

    Answer:-k first of all. the MORNINGS R COOOOLD. so yeah bring a jacket for the mornings. during the afternoon short sleeved shirts will do. u can wear jeans with it, it wont get that hot. at night its cold like the mornings so yeah wear layers. seattle's weather is practically a routine. mornings r cold, afternoons r the hottest, and the nights r cold.
  • Question:-Hows the weather in Seattle around early October?
    I'm going on a trip to Seattle in early October, but I'm clueless on how the weather is around that time since I've never been to the west coast? I just would like an answer to know what kind of clothing to bring with me..

    Answer:-October is the transition month from the dry sunny summer to the wet overcast, cool temps the rest of the year. If you are lucky, the first couple of weekends in October can be really nice.

    Plan for cool weather: lows in the mid 40's to highs in the upper 60's with a chance of rain and you cannot go wrong. Enjoy your visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment