Tuesday 17 January 2012

i have a dream speech

  • Question:-Topics for funny parody i have a dream speech?
    In AP lang we're supposed to give a speech parallel to the part of the "I have a Dream" speech that everyone knows. We are encouraged to be funny. I'd like your ideas, especially if you can think of something i say that's a topic thats like "Fix something that's already been fixed/ isn't a problem" or encourage my audience to Fix a small, relatively unimportant issue and, in the process of fixing it, do something that is drastically bad.

    Answer:-wow dillon way to procrastinate
  • Question:-What is a good poem to use for an American Dream speech about not living for yourself/helping others?
    I'm doing a speech about not living for yourself. I have a poem in mind...The World and I by Laura Riding. I'm not sure if it fits, though. Are there any other poems I could use?

    Answer:-Corinthians is not a poem.

    Well, an American poet would probably be best so I recommend Googling the greats: Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost etc. Having read the Laura Riding poem, it's a great poem but I don't know if it totally fits the topic of helping others.

    If you wanted a helping others poem with a bit of a difference, may I suggest 'Shovelling Snow With Buddha' by Billy Collins? It's a little bit off the wall but a great poem -- plus, Billy Collins is one of the greatest living US poets and a former poet laureate. It'll be something a bit different to the norm, the old greats... there's a copy here:

    http://plagiarist.com/poetry/814/

    Hope that helps!
  • Question:-What was the importance of I have a dream speech in acheving equal rights?
    what did the speech have?
    what did mlk said and why he said it?
    Where there any vilonce when MLK said the speech?

    Answer:-It was really intended to be an eye-opening speech, and meant to bring people together for an obviously well deserved change, for the better. There wasn't any violence injected in his speech, because violence (even suggestions of) in that type of situation would deem counterproductive. His intentions were clear, and he was a great man for doing what he did, and standing up for what was right. If you apply it to any race who endures inequalities (as he addressed), it is a positive thing, and definitely a step in the right direction.
  • Question:-How does Martin Luther king's "I have a dream" speech, relate/differ to the American Dream?
    The American Dream being/ having : Success , Happiness , a family (stay at home mom , working father) everything is perfect.

    If you think there isn't an american dream obtainable, how does what is believed to be the" American Dream" differ or conflict with Martin Luther King's I have a dream speech?

    Answer:-The "American Dream" is basically materialistic/economic. Dr King's "dream" was that of racial equality, where people are "judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin".

    - .--
  • Question:-What is a good Visual for a dream speech?
    I have a speech on Monday. Im doing it on dreams (interperetations and information). My professor requires us to have at least one visual. I cant think of a good visual that relates to dreams. (handouts, props)?? help!

    Answer:-You should show some pictures of art by Salvador Dali. A lot of his art was inspired by his dreams, according to himself. He referred to them as hand painted dream images. If you need something more scientific, you can find some graphs showing the five stages of sleep, and point out that we dream in REM sleep. A graph will show how we have REM sleep every 90 minutes, and that each REM cycle last longer the longer you sleep.

    Good luck on your speech!
  • Question:-What criteria should I use to formulate an essay about the Martin Luther King- I have a dream speech.?
    I need to write an essay about this speech, and I am somewhat stuck, because I am trying to make it interesting. Any help is appreciated.

    Answer:-I would investigate as to whether the candidacy of Barack Obama indicates whether Dr. King's dream has been fulfilled.
  • Question:-What are some of the literary devices in "I have a dream speech?" and some examples from it?
    The literary devices i have found the most of are metaphors, personification, diction,and syntax.

    So those are the 4 literary devices that i need examples of from the speech. I could really use 3 of each; but anything helps

    thanks so much! Marissa

    Answer:-Parallel Structure
    “I have a dream” and the phrase is repeated constantly

    I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed --- "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal."

    I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

    I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    http://udleditions.cast.org/craft_ld_parallel.html

    Figurative language
    Metaphor, Personification, Simile, Symbol, and imagery.

    oasis of freedom and justice.
    table of brotherhood.
  • Question:-why does martin luther king use alliteration in his i have a dream speech?
    i know what alliteration is and where it is in the speech im just unsure on why it is used and what effetc it has on the audience? thanks!

    Answer:-Alliteration is a very powerful tool. It was most likely used to help the audience remember important phrases.
  • Question:-Analyzing the imagery of the I Have A Dream Speech?
    I have an assignment in english where I have to analyze the imagery of the speech from dr. martin luther king jr.. but i don't exactly know what i'm suppose to be doing. I don't really understand, please help me!

    Answer:-You probably have to watch my friend, martin, a 1999 film.
  • Question:-why Martin Luther King Jr. I have a dream Speech is famous for what reason?
    I was wondering what does people think about this speech and what was this philosophy for doing this?

    Answer:-He was the first black leader to rise to such prominence. He had the attention of politicians, the nation and the world and he knew it.
    He was intelligent and a great orator. His words are as important as what he stood for and how he said it. Every ounce of his being was in that speech and he lived as he spoke. He fought the fight for civil rights alongside all those that suffered. The fact that he was authentic and would do anything to make it happen is what makes it such a great speech.
    "I may not get there with you...," he knew he would die because of his beliefs and he was not scared. That is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment